Achieve Your Sustainability
Goals Using RNG
Buyers of RNG can use it’s carbon negative environmental
attributes to offset Scope 1 and Scope 2 emissions.
Renewable Natural Gas is one of the most cost-competitive carbon solutions in the market trading at less than $50/MTCO2e. GreenGas captures methane, a highly potent greenhouse gas, from agricultural, municipal, and industrial sources. Using the captured methane as a renewable fuel not only displaces consumption of fossil fuels, it also prevents methane’s global warming potential, which is 25-85 times greater than CO2, from accelerating climate change.
OUR TRUSTED PARTNERS
GREENGAS PROVIDES VERIFIED CARBON CREDITS
How Can I Decarbonize by Purchasing RNG?
GreenGas is subjecting itself to rigorous, internationally recognized Gold Standard Verification Process
- Data collection & integrity checks by third party consultant
- Data sharing with SustainCert. Verification process coordination.
- SustainCert verifies project against Gold Standard protocols.
- Project and associated emission reductions entered Gold Standard registry.
- Agree upon amount of verified emission reductions passed to Daimler.
Third Party Verification: Carbon Registries
GreenGas has been certified as a generator of both Renewable Thermal Certificates (“RTCs”) and carbon offsets in two leading global carbon registries – M-RETS and Climate Action Reserve (“CAR”)
- Leading Renewable Energy Tracking System in the United States
- Traces physical gas molecule from producer to end user
- Certificates in the form of volume (dekatherm), with local source project
- Most experienced offset registry in global carbon markets
- Certificates retired in the form of MT CO2e
- Industry leader in carbon accounting and verification of emissions reduction
Interested in decarbonizing your operations?
ECONOMICS TO BUYERS
Decarbonized natural gas costs are <15% higher than current fossil rates
Schematic Economic Case Study to decarbonize consumption of 100MBTU
1. Natural Gas Consumption: 100MMBTU
2. Price of Natural Gas: $10/MMBTU
3. Total Natural Gas Price = $1,000
4. RNG required to offset natural gas emissions: ~10MMBTU
5. Price of RNG: $25/MMBTU
6. Total RNG Price = $250
7. Total Cost Fossil + RNG = (90 * $10) + (10 * $25) = $1,150 A
A decarbonized blended renewable gas costs are just 15% higher than a traditional fossil natural gas rate.
RNG Project Certification
The use of RNG as an offset mechanism is allowed under the GHG Protocol. Carbon neutrality standards such as PAS 2060, the CDP, and others point to RNG as a decarbonization pathway for organizations seeking carbon neutrality.
Our RNG projects are subjected to rigorous independent review, by third-party verification organizations such as Verra, SustainCert, ISCC, M-RETS. If desired, verified emission reductions (VER’s) and certified emission reductions (CER’s) can be issued. Alternatively, the RNG environmental attributes can be retired in the name of the purchasing entity, thereby establishing the additionality connection, while preventing double-counting of the environmental attributes.
GreenGas works with its customers to ensure robust tracking and documentation for GHG accounting.
GreenGas has extensive knowledge of the regulated and voluntary markets for carbon and RNG.
HOW MUCH RNG DOES MY FACILITY NEED TO BE CARBON NEUTRAL?
GreenGas can determine the amount of RNG needed to meet your decarbonization goals based on the natural gas usage (in MMBtu/yr or DT/yr) of your facility. A general rule of thumb is one molecule of RNG offsets the MTCO2e assosciated with approximately 10 molecules of NG burned.
HOW DOES GREENGAS VERIFY AND ENSURE TRACEABILITY TO THE ENVIRONMENTAL ATTRIBUTE ASSOCIATED WITH THE RNG PURCHASE?
GreenGas can provide requested verification methodologies consistent with your company’s requirements for traceability including retired MTCO2e on carbon registries, recognized verification standards following UN protocols, real-time metering of RNG injected into the natural gas pipeline for your company.
WHAT IS THE COST OF CARBON?